Advising Coordinator: Angela Pena, Department Administrator
The Department of Computer Science at Montclair State University supports the Bachelor of Science degrees in Computer Science, Information Technology and Science Informatics. These degrees educate students for work in industry or to attend graduate school. Department students may participate in Cooperative Education in industry for which students receive academic credit and salaries. Special courses such as the Department's Cisco Networking Academy introduce students to emerging technologies. Qualified students may work with Department faculty members on research projects. A student organized computing club provides another opportunity for student interaction.
The Computer Science curriculum prepares students to design and implement software, to consider new ways to use computers, to assist in improving solutions to computer problems, and generally helps students to adapt to new ideas. Furthermore,Our BS in CS degree has adopted and updated the curriculum of our old BS in CS - Concentration in Professional Studies degree, thus creating only one curriculum path and only one BS in CS degree for all CS students. The BS in CS - Concentration in Professional Computing degree is accredited by the Computer Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org. A name change of the accredited degree is pending. A chapter of Upsilon Pi Epsilon, the national honor society in computer science, is available for outstanding students.
The BS in Information Technology degree prepares students to use computing technology to create and process information to meet enterprise's goals. Although both Computer Science and Information Technology students learn about theory, innovation and computing applications, Computer Science tends to work more with theory and innovation while Information Technology tends to work more with computing applications.
- Computer Science Major · curriculum · 2 year plan · 4 year plan · pre-req · tentative schedule
- Information Technology Major · curriculum · 2 year plan · 4 year plan · pre-req · tentative schedule
- Science Informatics Major · curriculum · 2 year plan · 4 year plan
For students enrolled prior to Fall 2014
- Computer Science Major · curriculum
- Computer Science Major, Informatics Concentration · curriculum
- Computer Science Major, Professional Computing Concentration · curriculum
- Information Technology Major · curriculum
- Science Informatics Major · curriculum